The basic principle of this method of testing is that the velocity of an ultrasonic pulse through concrete is related to its density and elastic properties. Some care is necessary when testing, but an experienced operator may obtain a considerable amount of information about a concrete member. The advantage of this method is that the pulse passes through the complete thickness of the concrete so that the significant defects can be detected.
Pulse Velocity Measurement can be used for the following applications:
- The measurement of concrete uniformity
- Determination of the presence or absence of voids, cracks and other imperfections
- Deterioration of the concrete which might have occurred due to age or through the action of fire,frost or chemical attack
- Measurement of layer thickness and elastic modulus
- Determination and monitoring of concrete strength